Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Project: One Act Play


Using the Calamus poems, biographical information, letters, and interviews, I would like to write a one act play about Walt Whitman and Peter Doyle. It would be fairly experimental and surreal, taking place inside a street car that would stetch across the stage like a large room (it may come out looking rather Brechtian, or something). It would involve not only their meeting, but contain their whole relationship, the Civil War, the assassination of Lincoln, everything we’ve discussed in class, including homosexuality and comradeship, and with a focus on this relationship between poet and muse.   “We loved each other deeply, but there were things preventing that, too. I saw them,” Doyle said in an interview. I think this idea will be used as a general arch of the play. 

5 comments:

  1. I dig it. It reminds me of the movie "A Single Man" in which everything (an intro to the characters relationship, his suicidal inclinations and his eventual death) happens over the course of one day. The idea that our time on this planet may all in all amount to nothing more than a simple train ride or a fleeting romantic encounter fascinates me, and I would love to see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea. I love the idea of putting Walt and Doyle in a romantic sort of play and I think the use of contemporary language will be entertaining and incorporating lines inspired by Doyle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your idea, James. I'd really enjoy reading something like this opposed to the standard biography format that I've picked up a lot of information on the matter. The relationship between Doyle and Whitman is something that, as Hanley said in class, is hardly in the poetry, so it would be nice to see it in some form of literature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As others have clearly stated, this is a really great idea. I would not only love to read this play, but it would be wonderful to see it performed, as well. Especially with the current political issues at hand, having a portion of the play (however small) dedicated to the homosexuality vs. comradeship between Whitman and Doyle would be very interesting. I say "vs." because, I think for the sake of some (many) people, the play would have to define the line between a truly homosexual relationship and a friendly, close comradeship as it existed in the 1800's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent! I love it! But, do you think you can fit the whole relationship into one (fairly short play)? I'm wondering if there might be ways to scope the time frame down but still retain the connections to the whole thing?

    ReplyDelete